Thread: Rutgers
View Single Post
Old October 7, 2012   #6
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
It is called "semi-determinate" but technically it was a determinant that just happened to grow 6 feet + because it was so vigorous. Without staking they always were almost chest high and bushy. This particular strain was never offered in any seed catalogue as far as I know. My Dad got them in bare root bundles of 50 or 100 (can't remember) wrapped with brown paper and a rubber band. We would throw them in the refrigerator for a week or more until the weather cooperated for us to set them in the ground.

At the time it actually used to kinda tick me off. Because no matter what fancy hybrid tomato I grew from seed or bought plants, those abused bare root bundles Dad brought home for $5 ALWAYS did better.
I hope you will keep posting about your quest for this quality Rutgers. To me, Rutgers is mainly one of the many good offspring of Marglobe -- but I have often suspected, when I compared Rutgers to Marglobes, that the Rutgers strain I had wasn't the quality of Rutgers in days past. It would be great if you, who can remember those, could find and identify that strain.

Please keep reporting on your progress!
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote