Thread: Rutgers
View Single Post
Old October 8, 2012   #15
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Rutgers

Above is a link to Tania's data base where the Purdue one was referred to and the description is from the 1958 Gleckler catalog.

Folks who got the seeds back then, and I don't know how many years they would have listed it, could well have kept it going and some of those may have even SSE listed it, but to find anything in my older SSE Yearbooks prior to 1986 is not good b'c varieties were listed by individuals within individual states, not by color, and it's a bummer to have to wade through all of that.

So that's why I suggested to Red Baron to contact Adam at Gleckler Seedmen to see if possibly they did keep some seeds from some year in storage.

I don't think that Red Baron has contacted Adam yet or if he has has not shared it here.

Somewhere around here I also have some older Gleckler catalogs that Adam sent me. I bought from them many years ago, as did Craig (NC) as they and Seeds Blum, now extinct, were about the only two places where one could get some great varieties in the early 80's.

But even if I were to find them it would still mean contacting Adam to see if there are any seeds left in storage.

Adam revived his father's business a couple of years ago and he has some superb varieties and it was his father's father who started the seed business in the 40's.

When Adam decided to revive the business and I found out about it I offered to help him find many new varieties, the concentration being on varieties hard to find, rare, etc., and his business/website, has become known as a great go to place for many interesting varieties not found elsewhere.

There were some folks here who still maintained some of the varieties his father used to list, and they sent him the seeds b'c apparently they had no more of those varieties to try and wake up seeds.

I set up a thread in the WANTED seed exchange Forum and it was the great folks here at Tville who sent him some outstanding varieties, from the US and elsewhere. We did it, I think, three years in a row, and now he gets seeds for trial sent to him by many, and I still send seeds of newer ones to him as well.

His user name here at Tville is Farmall. and in a recent thread, I think it was in my germination thread he was commenting that he got excellent germination with the seeds I sent him last Spring and was going to come back and say which ones he liked the best.

But this is THE busiest time of the year for him since he still works for the family concrete business and has all those tomatoes to process for seeds.

Yes, the impossible dream, I'll sing it for you right now.