Thread: Stick
View Single Post
Old June 16, 2017   #63
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
Carol, I am wondering if people have tried to get the characteristics of Lutescent or Stick to carry over in a cross? If not, perhaps it would be interesting to try.

I'm not sure I understand your Google link above, "reverse mutations of tomatoes UV, treat with mutagens." The results are about what seem to be complex lab experiments, but I don't think that's what you meant.

Were you saying that there is some way for us to "undo" certain mutations, such as keeping the growth habit of Stick but having normal leaves? I did not find that procedure in the Google search, but I would be very interested in learning to do it.

I am certain there are ways to increase the frequency of new mutations, using simple household chemicals or the microwave. You mentioned UV light. As in sunlight? Or some other source?

This is a very interesting topic you brought up.
Nan
Since it isn't known how many mutations are involved with either Stick or Lutescent,I think many,the chance of crossing either one with another variety I see as a very low proposition,as I wrote above.

YES, very complex lab experiments and that's exactly what I meant.

(Were you saying that there is some way for us to "undo" certain mutations, such as keeping the growth habit of Stick but having normal leaves? I did not find that procedure in the Google search, but I would be very interested in learning to do it.)

Again, this goes back to how many mutations are present in Stick. And yes, PL leaves can become RL and the reverse,via mutation,but I know nothing at all about Stick leaves, so if you want to mutagenize some Stick seeds as I described above,go for it.

(I am certain there are ways to increase the frequency of new mutations, using simple household chemicals or the microwave. You mentioned UV light. As in sunlight? Or some other source?)

Simple householdchemicals to up the fq of new mutations,well,if you're certain about it, again,go for it since I don't know of any.

I think it's good to know the structure of DNA and what kind of mutations can occur that can change it change it, for there are many, from inverted sequences,repeats,looping out , double repeat sequences and several more.

Microwave?

Craig L and I used that to increase the germination of older seeds,didn't work well at all but as for magnetic pulses increasing mutations,I haven't heard of that.

Yes, I mentioned UV light, but not UV from the sun since it's the angle of the sun that creates that UV which is one of the reasons that dark colored tomatoes are much darker than the same varieties in the northern climes.

The UV I'm talking about is kinda a lamp with a hooded metal shade,you dial up what frequency you think you need, by experimentation or a protocol already published. Place it over a petri dish,again at a known height and zap away.

Just letting you know that while i was browsing thru my faves recently I found the links that will convince you of the fact that pimps from S America and Mexico made their way to Portugal and Spain,which at that time were one country and then how they got to Italy.

But I have no time at all to add to your seed offer thread with those right now, since I have much higher priorities right now,trust me on that.

Carolyn