View Single Post
Old July 14, 2017   #42
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
The Texas Tomato Food doesn't seem to bother the worms and if anything they keep getting more and more plentiful. At the end of a long summer of growing tomatoes when I remove the cypress mulch from my beds there is a thick layer of worm castings with tons of worms visible when the mulch is removed. I think TTF is pretty much a natural fertilizer and when diluted as much as it is it probably helps the worms instead of harming them. I have been using it regularly for years now and have only seen improvement in my soil health.
I used TTF last year and was happy with the results. I have some beds that were new last year and had just horrible tilth. The soil there was some godawful clay-heavy fill dirt from when the neighborhood was built in the 1940s or something, and I'm pretty sure the only thing that had been growing in it since then was lawn. The TTF was a real lifesaver for the plants in those beds.

Even after a winter of cover crops, compost, letting organic matter compost in place, etc., the soil is still not terrific in those beds.

In my older beds, the soil is much better, but I find the plants still benefit from TTF, although I don't give those plants as much of it. The difference is pretty noticeable. When I wasn't using it, the plants were totally happy and looked perfectly healthy. But with the TTF, I just got so much more yield (on everything--I use it for all my fruiting veg). I have very limited growing space, so maximizing yield is very important.

This year, as I was planting out, worms were practically leaping into my lap. Don't know about the microfauna and flora, but the composters and worms were unusually thriving. So using TTF regularly last year certainly didn't hurt them.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote