View Single Post
Old August 12, 2009   #15
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/fletcher/programs/tomato/

IN a post above Randy referred those interested to the above link which describes in detail the work in progress and information about what's been developed and what might be developed.

This summer I'm trialing Mountain Magic F1 and Plum Regal F1 as well as Smarty F1 which is currently offered by Johnny's Selected Seeds, the other two to be introduced commercially next year. These seeds sent to me as I think thanks for several heirloom varieties I sent to Randy for some of his breeding projects.

Randy, I'm delighted to see you posting here and I'll just sit on the sidelines and watch you and Tom discuss genetics and hopefully learn as I read, as I hope others will as well.

No TSWV here but I'm fighting the good fight against Late Blight as you know, and nothing so far but I'm surrounded with it on all sides and so am having Freda, who does all my gardening for me, pay close attention to any leaf/stem problems as well as keeping a close look at Mountain Magic with its LB tolerances. She comes today to spray and scout the plants. Everything is so behind that unless we get a very late first Fall frost I might not have tomatoes this year.

Fingers crossed. And welcome to Tomatoville!

And Freda just arrived, telling me of two others nearby who had to pull ALL of their plants, so we have to do the tomato stuff right now.