View Single Post
Old May 5, 2013   #8
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Thanks all for the responses so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wagner View Post
That is what you can expect. However, if you come across as a businessman...something I never could do...there may some solace.'
For experienced breeders I would be interested in not only what you "expect" but also what you "would consider fair" (in an ideal world)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Steve, could you please clarify this one for me?

And I'd be interested to know your opinion of vendors, for there are small family run ones, and then much larger ones and I think it should, or could make a difference on any paybacks one might expect b'c of those vendor differences.
I am seeing scenario #3, or similar, quite often with the increasing number of breeders. Yes, your experimental seed offerings would fall into this category if, in a few years, the original breeder decided to offer his/her stable selection to several vendors.

Good point about the size of vendors. Should the small vendors pay more/less than the larger vendors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktutt View Post
4. If you're sharing the early generations, what happens if something interesting shows up in another person's grow out. It's not what the original breeder was looking for, but interests the other grower enough that they bring it forward to stability. What would be appropriate compensation for the original crosser in this situation?
Yes, it could get quite convoluted. I would be interested in your personal opinion of the first 3 scenarios, particularly, do you think the current model is fair to the breeder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogsleap farm View Post
Tom, Brad and Fred/me are all trying new and different business models to capture value for the efforts of breeders - I'd say with at least moderate success. Ultimately any model for rewarding breeders for their efforts will depend on seed buyer willingness to purchase directly from the breeder/developers, or from their authorized distributors.
You/Fred, Tom and Brad all have experienced this from both sides so I value your input. As vendors, because of the price fixing laws, I understand we can't discuss specifics or come to a common agreement, but generalities are appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta View Post
Many of us out here are willing to pay for a breeder's royalty - I like sites that make it clear that xx% of gross price goes to the breeder (identified) so that I know who is accountable for what. But we support the breeders!!
I'm sure the breeders appreciate your support! (I know the vendors do)

Steve

Last edited by Heritage; May 5, 2013 at 12:01 PM.
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote