View Single Post
Old August 25, 2016   #37
Shapshftr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCow333 View Post
Inspected, pruned, and neemed the buhjesus out of all tomato and pepper plants yesterday evening. Found holes in pepper leaves but no bugs on them. On tomatoes, I found only 1 green hornworm, and it was not over 2-2.5" long. Found one brown or light tan / whiteish slim caterpillar, maybe 2" long at most. Had some small white moths or whiteflies depart when the neem (Garden Safe Fungicide 3) hit them. I'll have to keep a closer eye out for worm damage, since I found several tomatoes with large chunks eaten out of them. I used a tank sprayer, and put a little Dawn in with the neem, and sprayed until the neem was dripping everywhere.
Whatever kind of worms/caterpillers you have, BtK works best on them. Hornworms ate big chunks out of my maters too. Bt took care of them.

Quote:
I noted those comments about armyworms. There's a huge cornfield across the road, and we had some whopper winds with t-storms over the past 2 weeks. Maybe the cornfield worms went airborne?
Their moths may have flown over to your plants. The same worms that eat corn will eat tomatoes.

Quote:
Saw, online somewhere, advice to try a blacklight at night, I own a "Stinkfinder" blacklight which I idled after determining my nose could find the cat pee faster. Maybe there is new life for that Stinkfinder. I might crack open a beer and go hunting tonight. Hey, when you live in rural America, you have to make your own fun, right? >;-)
You sound like me, a little nutty, LOL. I live in the rural midwest. It's always an adventure here, and often includes beer. Happy hunting!
Shapshftr is offline   Reply With Quote