View Single Post
Old July 12, 2017   #8
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Hi...Unfortunately I was never emailed re replies to my thread.....hence my late reply in fact I was just starting to write a new thread having forgotten that I had already posted one??.....Unfortunately the plants I am seeking seeds from were probably late propagating and along with a terrible summer have had everything go against them......I put lights and heat bulbs in my glasshouse overnight for some weeks now specificly to try and get some or a fruit just for a taste test and seeds from each variety but the frosts have now really arrived so I stripped the fruit and have them inside in the warmth ......Some are doing OK but some of the green ones are softening and as Patti basicly says I should simply get rid of these or else they will rot and spread to the good green fruit. ....
From your replies it looks like the fruit need some colour or I could be wasting my time so I will do my best ...There is about 4 varieties that really interest me which are not available here so I am concentrating on them to hopefully get more seeds from my plants...I am also trying some cuttings but I left it rather too late but one never knows....
In my opinion I grew one outstanding Tomato...which apparantly is not available in the USA ...(the Netherlands Tasty Tom) the other varities were just tasteless and this is just not my opinion ..I used some friends as "tasters"...I now have some more seeds for the potato leaf Black Tomato from the lady who thought it was a Black from Tula ..I have tasted one fruit from a cutting she gave me which I grew last year and it was beautiful so I will be concentrating on my seed preparation this coming season and am building a growth chamber to help me in this.....

I have just checked my seed bank and I do have two seeds left of three varieties and one seed of one variety to try again apart from one so it may not succeed ...It was a Daniel Burson and did not like the conditions here at all .....I now know that I made a bad mistake in my growing last season and this I discovered when I started pulling out the plants....the plants that did not grow properly were not transplanted properly and still retained their rootball from a previous container ...I hope I have explained this properly....I feel they should have been transplanted into a large container much earlier before they created a rootball or ??and I am presuming here there is a method one should use to get rid of the rootball prior to transplanting into a large container...so that it grows out into the extra space....Thanks for all your replies ..Rest assured they are very much appreciated.....Regards Ron
murihikukid is offline   Reply With Quote