View Single Post
Old May 30, 2016   #12
bower
Tomatovillian™

Music is definitely a good garlic for us, and I'm impressed with how quickly it grew up from bulbils - faster than I expected for sure.

But I must admit, I'm a sucker for the big vigorous plants like Argentina - the lead over the others is amazing. German White sounds like another porcelain worth looking out for!

I haven't tried any Marbled Purple Stripe here yet, except for the Kostyn's Red Russian bulbils that just sprouted, which I'm pretty excited about. Bogatyr and Pskem both sound excellent. The vigorous have the best chance in a short iffy season like ours... if they can take it.

In Purple Stripes, the Chesnok Red got a lot smaller last year than the bulb I started with the year before. It was cold and I picked a bad spot with more shade than they liked. The Chesnok have small cloves anyway and so the smaller bulbs had even tinier cloves... They're the last left in my larder because such a PIA to peel. Persian Star were pretty small too but the rounds did well so they're getting a foothold and looking worth the real estate... in a year or two, maybe. But so far, I'm still looking for purple stripey things that are big and burly.

I think there's lots of sulfur in the soil here so never heard of anyone adding sulfur in fertilizer... and the garlic and onions seem plenty strong. I'm all about the delicious raw garlic, use the rasp to liquify it into some EVOO, fresh lemon juice, salt and pepper and the herb of your choice or some fine parmesan and heaven, thank you.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote