View Single Post
Old August 28, 2016   #73
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulac View Post
This is the right way to go. I must say I don't understand at all how the head stock was made. I suggest machining it or have it made by a professionnal (precision 1/100 mm) to give it standard fittings : in Europe M 33x3.5 threading for the chuck, N°2 Morse cones if the parts are hollow so that the cone can be ejected from the back.

You don't have to do all the work now, you'll get bored during the rainy months of winter.

By the way a trick that may be useful : when you start working make some fine sawdust. If a knot goes away mix it with white vinyl wood adhesive to make some paste and fill the hole, the result will be perfect.

I suggest you start on "easy" pieces of wood to get familiar with the different techniques.

Enjoy improving the lathe. As long as you think before you act you are safe.
I appreciate your input.
What I am going to do is convert the sizes of the spindle on the head stock to metric to help give you a better idea of what I have.

It is 30mm long and 16mm in diameter.
The fractional size is 1 3/16 long and 5/8 in diameter.
It had a slope cut into it so a set screw locks what ever you put on it down and it cant slide off or spin.
I will insert a pictuer here.
This will be easy to make I just need to do some research to see what threads I need on the other end that is the most standard size.
20160828_095331.jpg

The quill screw and barrel need to be 10 threads per inch so each rotation of the handle will move it 1/10th or 0.100 of an inch.
Here is a picture of an old Yates Lathe from the late 1930's with tubing for ways.
It looks very familiar and a lot like the Shopsmith made 10 years later.
This is where the guy that made the Shopsmith got his idea.

More later.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote