View Single Post
Old March 9, 2017   #4
svalli
Tomatovillian™

Megan, Those rounds are huge. Good for eating, but for planting material it would be nice to get them grow multiple cloves and scapes. Those look like the Chinese Solo garlic, so it is interesting to see, if my refrigerated Solos will grow to multiple cloves.

Last year I got quite many similar looking rounds from Spanish Morado. It is not really winter hardy, so last year I lost all fall planted ones and had only the ones which I refrigerated and planted during spring. Quite many of them got refrigerated only for couple of weeks and those produced rounds or rounds, which started to split, but clove skins were missing. So the short vernalization seemed to be the factor for preventing the normal bulb formation.

I'm not sure if it a Creole or Turban variety, since I started growing these from packet, which I purchased at a grocery store. It is very long storing, last fall I planted some cloves from 2015 harvest and the ones hanging in the kitchen have still edible cloves. I may need to toss them soon, since we have quite much 2016 harvest to eat and those are still juicy.

Attached is a photo of one of the divided Morado round. It was about same size as the rounds you have on the photo. I got also a lot such smaller rounds with two cloves without clove skins.

Sari
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jakaantunut yksikyntinen.jpg (42.6 KB, 84 views)