View Single Post
Old December 30, 2007   #7
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

To Darrel, Kent, and Morgan, and anyone else reading,

Sorry to hear so many folks are affected adversely by TSWV. I have not lived in Kansas since 1988, so I am out of the loop what is going on back there too! I live in Everett, Washington.

Quote:
It is obvious from this that incorporation of the S5 gene into some of the heirloom cultivars would be desirable.
That is what I am thinking. I had forgotten that I was in contact with Randy Gardner last spring with the thought of doing a pollen transfer agreement with him to obtain the Sw-5 genes (not S5) of several OP lines he has. About the time I thought I would do this things weren't looking too fine to proceed; then I just forgot about it. I was definitely planning to cross the spotted wilt resistant pollen lines with a whole aray of heirloom and proprietary material.

Quote:
The major issue with S5 is that it is linked to several undesirable genes. This linkage has only recently been broken to some extent with resulting releases of varieties such as Amelia and Health Kick.
I will have to analyze this myself with some grow outs of OP and hybrid material. I found some more lines that carry the SW-5 gene. With so many more lines to my list of options to access, I don't think we will have a problem. I will have to see if the linkage is such that a hybrid is OK, but if the inbred (homozygous) show severe linkage and quality problems in developing heirlooms with resistance...uh oh! It just may be that desirable lines of heirlooms will have to fall into the hybrid category or strategeries. I will ask Dr. Gardner, about this as he sent me an email just a while ago.

The list to add to 12-28-07:TSWV res.Most are F-1s

'Crista' = (NC 0256
NC 0227
NC 0236
NC 0367
NC 0377
NC 0392
NC 056
Fla. 7964
Fla. 8042
NC 032939
NC 0341
PSR 55289
HMX 5790
HMX 5790
Sophya
HMX 3861
Nico
Red Defender
Picus (XP 01429864)
PS 01522942
PS 01522935
Quincy (XP 01408383)
Redline (formerly RFT 4971)
HMX 5790
NC 58S(2002)-1A (parent of NC 0392)
NC 123S(2002)-1C (parent of NC 0256 which is named Crista
NC 127S(2002)-BK (parent of NC 0227 and NC 0236)
NC 58S(2002)-1A
NC 123S(2002)-1C
NC 127S(2002)-BK

I want to access the Daddy of some of the lines with SW-5 resistance, namely, Accession: LA3667 from the Donor Mikel Stevens. It originated from an F5 of Stevens x Rodale
It is identified with the Locus name: Spotted wilt resistance-5
Chromosome: 9 Arm: L.

Now all I have to find out is what else in on the long arm of chromosome 9, as in what is missing and what else is there. Did just a snippet of this chromosome get involved or did the whole darn chromosome carry down?

The Sw5 gene, which I just mentioned, has been mapped near the telomere of the long arm of chromosome 9 back in 1995. I wonder if there has been any translocations, ie, breakage and reconnection of odd pieces of the chromosome 9? Being so close to the telomere (that's the end of the chromosome) I am thinking deletions, additions, and translocations are bit more likely. The early resulting lines have been used in so many warmer climates that I am afraid of hearing more reports of the resistance of these new varieties becoming overcome by the virus. This is where TVille could help us triangulate the research data.

Quote:
The initial cross should be followed with backcrosses to the heirloom parent once confirmed tolerant lines are available.
Crossing OP lines of TSWV lines would work more direct, since 100% of the offspring will carry the resistance. The hybrid backcrosses only 50%. However, there may be one or more hybrids that have traits I want anyway, like the nipple gene, large slicing sizes, etc.

Quote:
It is simple to test a plant for tolerance. all you need is an infected plant and a knife. slice off a sprig from the infected plant and make small notches in healthy plants, then rub the cut sprig in the wound.
I will have to see if there are any TSWV infected tomatoes here in the Seattle area to do a proper test. I may not find any local sources here, but let me google this or maybe our readers can fill me in as to the nearest TSWV area!

Quote:
This started before we saw you at SSE meeting in July, and just got worse after we returned home. If you are just a foot soldier, I do not know what I am

Yes, I remember you well Kent. We had some longs chats back in Iowa, didn't we? What I did not remember is that TSWV was your enemy! Foot soldier? I take no commands and give none either, so maybe I am less than a foot soldier?

Quote:
I think you are misunderstanding me. I am not asking you to perform any pro bono work, research, or growouts. You responded to the question regarding TSWV with a volunteer of information, and that is exactly what I am hoping for. Oh and seeds.
Big deal! I am doing, essentially, all kinds of pro bono work, research, and grow outs anyway. I hope to volunteer information, copious amounts if possible, since precious few folks do. The seeds and the sharing thereof may lie in a formalized TSWV PROJECT or an advance website offering a service trade or sorts. Who knows?

Quote:
If there are any costs involved in acquiring these seeds, or you would rather refer us to the direct sources to get them, I'm sure the people who have posted in this thread and the other TSWV thread who are currently getting NO tomatoes despite growing dozens of them would be happy to cough up a few bucks to acquire seeds.
Interesting concept, especially the part where folks have problems with TSWV and are willing to share some of their hard fought for seeds with me in the beginning with hopes of obtaining segregating heirloom types tomatoes with 75% TSWV resistance. Good Website Proposal, huh?

I suppose I should list where many of the current TSWV resistant lines may be obtained, requested, or bought?

Lord, I need an editor to help me sort out my ramblings, good thing I don't really care if I goof up a bit. Thanks for reading this far!

Tom Wagner
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote