View Single Post
Old November 29, 2006   #71
Plant Lady
Tomatovillian™

I had read this a while back when I was still lurking about. I have been laying awake at night trying to figure out a couple of things, but after rereading it all my questions were answered. I have always done the dense planting, but in odd containers that would fit into a gallon ziplock plastic bag or flats into a trash bag.

But what seems to be most peoples concerns, is about seperating the dense seedlings....When I first started growing things from seeds, I was at a local greenhouse getting flats & supplies.....There was this very old guy sitting at a desk transplanting tomato seedlings that were dense planted, he had these huge hands that were crippled up...I stood there and watched him for it seemed like hours, but was not anymore then 5-10 minutes, after watching this man, I knew that I could do that with no problem...and it was not a problem the first time I tried it and have had no problems with seperating them. One tool that might come in handy for those who are unsure is a regular table fork, you can use the fork to lift out the seedlings, then just lay them on something and you can gently remove one at a time or use the fork to pull a couple away from the mass at a time and seperate them. This is a very good system and I can see that for large plantings is an excellent way of doing this.
Plant Lady is offline   Reply With Quote