View Single Post
Old March 13, 2018   #12
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I am almost positive that policy is illegal. It is similar to price-fixing as an illegal restraint upon trade. Telling you what you can charge is the same as telling you what you can sell. They have policies like that so they can make sure to not let in anyone who is competing with their current vendors by selling the same product. It is protectionist and anti-competitive. I think a judge would laugh at them for being so ridiculous, but no one is going to sue over some squash, so I guess it is a moot point.
I agree with you. Its utterly ridiculous. After my Vendor friend confirmed that the market is ran with an iron fist, I knew it wasnt for me.

Speaking of price fixing.... Where I grew up is a moderately sized Market. Maybe 50-60 vendors? Something like that. Anyhow, all the vendors have nearly identical produce with identical prices. Sure, this vendor might have peaches, and that vendor might have apples, but every vendor that has the basics, Tomatoes, Peppers, Beans, Squash, etc, has nearly identical products, and identical prices. I dont know if they have an unspoken rule, or maybe an enforcer with a baseball bat, but it is what it is.
FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote