View Single Post
Old April 20, 2018   #11
JerryHaskins
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Jerry, - Lantana - you just caught my attention. I am very interested in knowing your results.

I successfully rooted up a lantana cutting using potting mix that I kept wet, but not super wet. I just used a 16 oz. party cup and bottom watered just like potted up tomato plants.

The smaller lantanas are generally hybrids. Growing from cuttings is a good idea.
The larger lantanas are native from Texas through the warm areas in Mexico and south America. They are drought tolerant. (I'm not sure about the small hybrids?)

We bought four different colors of lantanas this year and will be planted out today, April 19th. We are going to try rooting some of those when they grow big enough.
Thanks. Will try to post results. I have rooted New Gold, Sun Rise, and Sun Set lantana in the past. I did that in potting soil, and it was pretty easy.

My problem has been that they root, then I repot the little plants in 6-inch pots. But by the time they are large enough to set out in the yard, it is getting too hot and dry (around July) to do so.

So I try to overwinter them in pots. I don't have a greenhouse; so they freeze.

Here in zone 8 lantana in my yard dies back to the ground every winter but comes back great in the spring. My New Gold lantana is already blooming. My Sun Rise and Sun Set has leafed out but is not blooming yet.
JerryHaskins is offline   Reply With Quote