View Single Post
Old August 25, 2014   #64
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
Tracy, I do not know if walnut trees do well in your area, neither what chemicals were used in that old septic, but if it is all fine...
My grandma (in Ukraine) planted walnut tree near old septic place, she did not use chemicals. That tree was huge and productive.
My entire lot with the house on it is only 50 by 100 feet. I planted single sour cherry tree, no space for more. No fruit yet.
From my childhood, I can still taste fresh peaches picked at my grandma place. Juices running along your arm as you bite into it.
Good luck with all your planting. It is going to be lots of work that will pay hopefully with good produce. Enjoy.

A walnut tree will suppress competition where ever its roots reach and its leaves fall. Even for years after the tree is gone, you would never be able to plant anything in the spot.

The septic isn't an issue as long as the lines aren't too shallow (as in you dig them up. that gets expensive to repair) We planted right over ours and even put a high tunnel over part of the original field. We checked with the health dept and they said it was okay. even actually better for the environment as the plants will use up more of the water and effluents than letting them leach down into the ground.