View Single Post
Old November 12, 2016   #1
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Default Belarus Tractor Engine Powered Snowblower

The engine I intend to use for this project is an air cooled diesel, likely built in Eastern Europe. The engine was listed for sale, as a Russian Tractor Engine and that is what I used in the title, when asking if anyone could help me with information on it. Worth discovered that the engine was used in the Belarus 420A tractors. Thank you again Worth! The following link confirms that is quite likely. http://www.tractordata.com/farm-trac...arus-420a.html
DieselEngineFor Snowblower_1.jpg
Looking closely at the engine tag, I think the engine may have been built in southeastern Ukraine. The engine tag has the name "жданова" on it, which translates to Zhdanov in English. "им.А.А." translates to Academy of Science. Zhdanov was the name used by the USSR between 1948 and 1989 for the city of Mariupol, Ukraine. Mariupol is known for its metallurgy, and heavy engineering. My guess is that this engine may have been built in Mariupol, Ukraine and used in tractors such as the Belarus 420A which were manufactured in Minsk, Belarus.

This project started in my mind several years ago. My original plan was to find a large 3 point snowblower that needed some work on it and could be bought at a reasonable price. 3 point blowblowers are made to mount on the back of farm tractors and are powered by the PTO (power take off) shaft on the back. Snow removal is accomplished by driving the tractor backward in reverse gear with the operators head looking over their shoulder behind them and their arms and legs forward to steer and control the tractor. It can be a real pain in the neck.

The original plan was to front mount a 3 point snowblower and self power it with a couple of 12 or 16 hp Kohler engines. But shortly after buying the snowblower I came across the ad for the diesel engine above and said to myself, Wow man that's it.

I will be continuing this thread over the next several weeks. In the next day or two I will be posting pictures of the snowblower and engine as they look now, before any modifications.
Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.

Last edited by Dutch; November 13, 2016 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Grammar
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote