View Single Post
Old August 21, 2017   #9
b54red
Tomatovillian™

It looks like gray mold to me and quite advanced. What you see is only part of the problem if it is gray mold it has moved much further up the plants than what is visible to the naked eye. Seeing the small lesions on the stems could mean it has gotten well into the plant and may be so far along it can't be stopped. I would try the diluted bleach spray but you will lose quite a bit of foliage. The next day after spraying with the diluted bleach you should remove all the shriveling leaves and stems and spray with a copper fungicide to help reduce the spread of GM.

Black tomato varieties are highly susceptible to gray mold and need to be kept sprayed with a copper fungicide. They also need the diseased leaves removed whenever they show up along with some opening up of the plant with pruning to lessen the chance of gray mold by allowing more sunlight and air to circulate in the plant. Most of my black varieties have had some gray mold to one degree or another and I have kept them sprayed with copper but had to use the bleach spray twice. I have kept them pruned and all lower foliage removed. By doing these things I have kept the gray mold well under control so far this year. You could also have some type of speck or spot problems along with the gray mold and the treatment will help with that also.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote