View Single Post
Old November 3, 2017   #117
Bio-Ag-Guy
Tomatovillian™

I have been following this thread with much interest, since I live in S.Florida and have been dealing with a severe infestation of RKN for many years. It got so bad a few years ago that I almost gave up gardening! I know how frustrating this problem is.

While researching biological controls, because I refuse to put poison on food that I eat and share with others, I stumbled onto some articles by Carey Reams. I read everything I could find on his methods of growing and have been implementing what I learned for about 5 or 6 years now. In a nutshell, his methods are about balancing soil minerals and getting soil energy at proper levels for vigorous healthy growth. There is so much more, but I hate to type, and probably won't do it justice with ten paragraphs more info.

I still have RKN, but have been able to get great production out of tomatoe crops before they succumb to disease. I am happy enough with the results that I am still growing tomatoes yearly and not looking to change anything else, for the time being. Unfortunately, I have not found any heirlooms that perform well in my garden,(have tried hundreds of varieties over the years).

My soil is sand, RKN HEAVEN! I added a lot of compost, then the required minerals,(mostly soft rock phosphate and high calcium lime), soil tested, then continue to adjust with mostly chicken manure and more lime. And mulch heavily. After 5 or 6 years of this, I have a dark black loamy soil about a foot to 18 inches deep. It really produces well, almost anything I plant does great. Just pulled sweet potatoes last month, and there was several with RKN damage, but plenty without damage. Just in time for Thanksgiving dinner.

I wrote all of this to hopefully encourage others not to give up! I don't think what I have done is the be all end all fix, but it has allowed me to continue gardening,(in the ground), and also enjoy better production than I ever previously experienced! The only pest issues I have are RKN and caterpillars. BT solves the caterpillars easily.

As a side note, I drive a semi-truck over the road, and am gone from home 3 wks. To a month at a time. Go home for a week, then back out on the road. Irrigation is on auto and no one else maintains my garden other than picking fruit. If I can do this, then I believe almost anyone can. I'm writing this while sitting in a truck stop in Big Springs Nebraska.

I have pictures on my tablet of last year's tomatoes and will try to post some if I can figure it out again! Best wishes to all the forum members and guests, and don't ever give up!

Brian

Last edited by Bio-Ag-Guy; November 3, 2017 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Spelling
Bio-Ag-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote