Thread: Industrial Hemp
View Single Post
Old October 2, 2018   #31
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I don't think it has been mentioned yet, but there are three different types of hemp crops: fiber, seed, and cbd bud. The cbd bud plants look exactly like illegal marijuana plants, but the THC has been bred nearly out of them. The market for CBD products is exploding. It's the best medicine to treat MS and childhood epilepsy, and has a lot of health potential. Coke is exploring the possibility of making a line of CBD beverages.

The Illinois Stewardship Alliance is hosting a 'hemp victory party' on October 12th in Ashland, IL. I would like to attend, but I'm not sure I will make it.

The Illinois Dept of Ag is writing the rules right now, and who knows how much bureaucratic ignorance will be included. My guess is a lot, given that it is Illinois.

A very good friend of mine is opening a CBD processing facility just across the river in Kentucky. One thing I hope against, but halfway expect, is that the Illinois rules will mandate that processing occur in-state...despite none of these facilities existing yet. My friend's place could probably process everything grown in Southern Illinois the first year. It would be nice to have a guaranteed buyer before the crops even get planted. His family is also going to apply for a growing permit in Illinois. I plan to work for/with them in their operation. Kentucky farmers growing CBD bud were netting $10k an acre last year, and the prices keep going up. That number might double with the 2018 crop.

https://www.facebook.com/events/537038010065344/

Hemp, Hemp, Hooray! We won, let's celebrate!

Industrial Hemp is a huge opportunity for farmers and communities across Illinois, and you've worked hard to make it happen. The industrial hemp bill was signed into law in late August.

Join us on October 12 at Oak Tree Organics for good, old-fashioned fun on the farm to celebrate.

Oak Tree Organics Farm
2585 Literberry Prentice Road
Ashland, IL 62612
Friday, October 12
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote