View Single Post
Old May 21, 2018   #5
bower
Tomatovillian™

Hi,
Seven is the typical number of leaf nodes before a flower cluster but ten is not unusual, I've seen that on more than one OP variety that I've grown.
The number is under genetic control and separate from other growth habit traits like sp (determinate/indeterminate). So I have seen it in several determinate varieties (Heidi and Deep Space come to mind) and in indeterminates as well.
I've never seen a plant that flowered on fewer than seven main stem leaves, but they do exist as Joseph says.

Also besides N there are other factors that can affect vegetative vs reproductive growth, including day/night temperature differences, low light conditions, etc etc. Don't worry too much! It will probably develop normally after planting out. The bigger number can be a problem for me because the greenhouse is warm and light limited, I may end up with a lot of stem and vegetation before getting to fruit in that case. But outdoors the cool temperatures keep node distances short, so in a similar climate, you should have no problem.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote