View Single Post
Old March 29, 2017   #4
garyjr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARgardener View Post
I have some liquid fish from Peaceful Valley (2-3-0.5) that I wanted to use to lightly feed my seedlings.

When I looked at the bottle, I was surprised to see that it recommended 6-8 Tbs per gallon. I thought that 1 tbs per gallon was a typical dilution? Why does my bottle recommend such a steep ratio? Which dilution would you recommend?

Wasn't sure how to dilute for the seedlings (the math got odd as I only needed 2 cups). What I did was bottom water as usual but I didn't leave the plants in for their full soaking period, so they weren't totally moistened. I then added a squirt of diluted fish (a splash of emulsion in 2 cups of water) around the base of each little plant.
Hope I didn't really mess things up?
That does seem high. I believe Alaska fish fertilizer is 2 tbs per gallon. Last season I did 1/2 tbs per gallon when I first potted up, and then 1 tbs per gallon on mature seedlings. My wife didn't care for the smell in the lower part of our house so this year I am using an organic powder fertilizer from tractor supply. They recommend 1 tbs per gallon for mature plants and 1/2 that rate for seedlings. BTW, I quickly distract her when she asks what that smell is..