Thread: tomato wine
View Single Post
Old March 5, 2013   #10
Wayne C
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomato WInes don't do green...

It is true that most wines (even homebrew) are better when aged. BUT and it's a big but, that most tomato wines taste pretty darned good right off the first rack. If you have the patience then the outcome (after a year or three) is a fine store quality sherry-like wine. But there is something to be said for a "fresh" batch(right out of the carb) or one thats somewhat aged (like 3-6 months). New tastes VERY different than aged but unlike most grape based or grape heavy wines Tomato (In my humble opinion) is a nice sweet smooth unique experience all by itself without a long wait. Tomato wines dont have the "GREEN" taste of grapes, they just taste different then aged if srved fresh. Personally? I like "new" tomato wine. Besides, when making wine you're making quite a few bottles if you don't make a gallon jug (which has many problems and issues so I dont suggest it). What I suggest is that you make at least a three to five gallon batch and put some bottles away for 3 months, six months, a year, two, three, and drink a couple right away. Only you know what you like. Personally I've only managed to put one bottle up that went the distance!!! It's just too good.
Wayne the Wine Wizard
Wayne C is offline   Reply With Quote