View Single Post
Old August 25, 2016   #9
BajaMitch
Tomatovillian™

AKMark, in my post above, I used the Hydro-Gardens solution for seedlings which is 1/2 Lb + 1/4 Lb + 1/4 Lb which is 1200 PPM according to HG. The solution for 1st cluster to 4th cluster uses 1/2 Lb + 1/2 Lb + 1/4 Lb which is 1500 PPM per HG. Aside from that, I am going to use a proportioned down-size of your recipe which is 4.25 Lbs ChemGro 4-18-38, 4.25 CaNO3, 3 Lbs MgSO4, and .5 Lb KNO3 which translates to 2,876 PPM calculating PPM on the gross weight of the fertilizer recipe the same way that Hydro-Gardens derives their PPM.

One of the reasons that I posited the question on PPM calculation is because I want to inspect other PPM recipes and compare them in my process of trying to determine the best PPM recipe I can come up with. Without knowing just how they calculate PPM, it makes it pretty hard to do a comparison or even to know how to achieve they recipe using alternate ferts. My next year's experiments will include AKMarks PPM recipe, Hydro-Garden's, and various other derivations.

AKMark, got a question for you. You may never have done the calculation, but, do you have any idea as to what the average quantity of water, in gallons, used for irrigation on a per plant basis for the entire growing season? That is, how many gallons does it take to water one 5 gallon container tomato plant on the average, in your experience? For me, as far as I can calculate, one 5 Gallon tomato container and plant take about 118 gallons of water for a 5 month growing season. Any thoughts on this?
Thanks in advance, AK.

Last edited by BajaMitch; August 25, 2016 at 12:08 AM.
BajaMitch is offline   Reply With Quote