Thread: onions & snow
View Single Post
Old May 8, 2010   #3
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

my onions have not grown much since i put them out 4/12 at least they don't look like they did. i'm also concerned about my peas, they look pale green even a touch of yellow here and there. lettuce doing ok, beets and radishes are up and look ok. my garlic is doing great and was from day one.

i mention all this as i question whether the onions and peas are being effected by a lot of saw dust in the horse manure i added to the garden last fall? it sure looked like a lot more saw dust than manure but it was steaming from urine/saw dust.

my garlic bed was not amended with the manure so that makes me question the onions.

too much carbon (saw dust) can steal nitrogen from the soil to decompose the saw dust. this would result in pale/yellowish pea plants and small onion plants. it's been VERY dry and VERY hot all april and may. since 3/1 we have had just 8 EIGHT days that have been below normal temperatures and i'd bet all the other days have been above normal not normal temperature wise. 80's and 90's in the 1st week of april! add to the heat and lack of rain it's been very windy, not breezy windy. today we expect 40-50 mph winds. this is insane we never have such strong wind unless there's a huge storm.

really rotten weather so far.
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote