Thread: The Whole Okra
View Single Post
Old March 29, 2020   #80
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

I've found that success for me in starting okra seedlings depends on the variety. I used to do all my okra in sets when I was using 'Cajun Delight', a compact grower that did well for me. Starting in 2015 I couldn't find the seed anymore so started experimenting with other okras.

Burmese and Jing Orange, both taller than the Cajun Delight, were selected because I figured that with their SE Asian heritage they're stand up well to the heat and humidity here. Well, they grew so fast and got leggy that I had to toss them and just sow directly in the ground. The same thing happened with every other okra I've tried and it makes sense because none of them were dwarf or "compact" types. Chalk this up to "anecdotal" observation. LOL!

But this year I found and bought Cajun Jewel which is supposed to be a dwarf type getting 3-4' tall. I will definitely start some of these in pots to test my theory. Choppee's first time out last year was a winner and will be grown again but the seed will go straight into the garden.

As far as transplanting, I've planted them just slightly deeper than the top of the root ball and no more.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote