View Single Post
Old September 23, 2014   #12
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Well with experience you can reduce it to where you want it. I myself save tomatoes frozen. When prepping I remove as many seeds/gel as possible, half or quarter the tomatoes. When I bring them out much of the water leaves the tomatoes as they thaw. You can keep this water to use like a broth or for whatever. I myself discard it unless I have an immediate use. The skin comes right off at this point. A slight squeeze removes more water. Then through the food mill and the end result is almost thick enough by itself. I might reduce for 3 hours at the most and it is thick by then. Really reduces cooking time. End product is fantastic!
Everybody finds what works for them.
For me I don't want to make the sauce at this point as I add different spices depending on what I'm making. I make chili, southwest spaghetti, goulash, regular spaghetti, salsa, my secret penna pasta delight, etc so each dish requires different ingredients, different spices. Marinara sauce is rarely used. Well I do use it but can make it as I go. I prefer using fresh meat, not frozen. Plus I don't have a pressure cooker. I use citric acid or lime juice after the water bath.
I grow many spices and feel the best taste is when you add them fresh right before serving. I never really cook the spice for longer than a few minutes else flavor IMHO is gone! Pressure cooking the spices just does not work for me, or in canning bath the spices is not good as far as I'm concerned. Even when using dry spices in the middle of winter, I only cook maybe 5 minutes. My dry spices are dried from my plants so extremely fresh, not something years old off a grocery store shelf.

Last edited by drew51; September 23, 2014 at 10:55 AM.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote