View Single Post
Old August 15, 2015   #7
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronabarb View Post
Durgan, you make these statements as if they are fact, so I would be interested in knowing what you base them on. Links? Citations? There are other factors that come into play. I have never read that only 3 mins is necessary to kill bot spores. And when does one start timing the 3 mins? Food density is just one issue that can affect heat penetration, so without a probe in the middle of the jar, how do you know when it reaches temp in the interior? NCHFP has already done all of this research, so I follow their guidelines as tested and scientifically sound.

No where is 15 pounds of pressure advised except for those who live at an altitude that require it to reach 240F. So perhaps your juice method is overkill. Obviously, you are free to process your food as you please. But if you want to post your method as safe for everyone, then please back it up with some evidence.
Does cooking kill Cl. botulinum and its toxin?
Normal thorough cooking (pasteurisation: 70°C 2min or equivalent) will kill Cl.botulinum bacteria but not its spores. To kill the spores of Cl.botulinum a sterilisation process equivalent to 121°C for 3 min is required. The botulinum toxin itself is inactivated (denatured) rapidly at temperatures greater than 80°C .

https://www.fsai.ie/faqs/botulism.html
Foodborne Botulism
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote