View Single Post
Old May 22, 2018   #26
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
I agree with Nan, lucky you re leaf mulch and the wood mulch too!! Good work on that garden. I'd be tempted to get even more of the leaf stuff, LOL, because it just is so lovely!

Talk about worms, they'll be moving in fast. They LOVE leaf litter.

Good work and hope to see more pictures as you bring it along.
Little bit later on in the season ill be getting more. I plan to just dump it in a spot close to one of the greenhouses, over in the wood line. It will just set there the rest of Summer into next Spring. Ill use it for potting soil for all my plants. Dont know about shrinkage, but im guessing 3 loads should be enough for all my Spring needs. Plus, I can back my truck right up to that spot. No hauling it around.

If you think about that for a moment, its a huge cost savings. In the Nursery Business, soil is a large factor of the price. Im getting it for free! This works out as next year I want to use some larger pots for some of my flowers. This helps with keeping my prices in check, at the Market. I would rather lower my production cost, then try to justify a price increase.

Dont worry, there will be plenty more pictures. Hopefully this will eventually answer questions that I read all over the internet about "Back To Eden" style gardening. Some folks are dead set that the wood chips must be "Ramial Tree Service Chips". I have seen first hand in my front flower beds that regular wood mulch, real wood mulch, does indeed compost and disappear into the soil. I dont have photographic proof. This thread will hopefully detail that. With LOTS of photos of the process.

As titled, it is a long term project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDawgs View Post
There's a lot of satisfaction in seeing a project phase with a check mark next to it. Good job!

You aint kid'n. I was getting tired of the Leaf Mulch phase.
FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote