View Single Post
Old April 24, 2016   #4
Tropicalgrower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeedman View Post
I grew Purple de Milpa many years ago. As I recall, it was strong flavored, and had small tomatillos just over 1" wide... but a lot of them.

For the last two years, I've grown John Wyche, an heirloom from Seed Savers Exchange. It came up as volunteers in 2015, and did better than when I started it as transplants! Fruit size was variable between different plants, with some about the size of Purple de Milpa (and showing a little purple coloration), to flattened dark green fruits about 2" wide. I may continue to select for larger fruit, but the plants with smaller fruit were actually the most productive.

If you are looking for larger-fruited varieties, you might want to try Adaptive Seeds. They carry a small-fruited purple race similar to Purple de Milpa, Cisinerors, and an even larger-fruited variety (Plaza Latina Giant) from Mexico.
Thanks for the link to Adaptive Seeds,and the information on your John Wyche's Tomatillos.I was leaning towards Cisneros,although I did read 1 review stating that it wasn't very productive for the reviewer.It may have been a fluke...who knows?

I need to decide on whether to grow the purple or not.I may try just the Cisneros for now,and see how it goes...although,the purple would only be a couple more $.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
Tomatillos all taste the same to me. So, I don't have a preference. But, the larger ones are easier on gathering enough for the recipes. Now, purple adds a presentation plus to the formula. But, cooking makes it all work out. In salsas, I can't tell a difference. I grow the ones that give me the most fruit for my time spent working the plants.
That is very helpful information as well Ted.
I had been wondering if there was a significant difference in flavor between varieties that might sway a person in one direction or another.That makes the selection process easier for sure.

Thank you both very much.