View Single Post
Old September 4, 2017   #258
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
... In my opinion, these tomatoes are not suitable for home gardening.
Hi Vladimir, I hope you are well. I see things a bit differently than you wrt the CZ hybrids. For me this summer - also hot & very dry - the CZ hybrids delivered ripe fruit earlier than their American hybrid counterparts, and imho, there are a couple of gems. Here are my rankings & thoughts:

Will grow again:
1. Start S F1 - 57 DTM - This is my favourite because the taste is #2 (of the CZ) and it is the earliest. Much better taste than Toro F1, also Burpee's Fourth of July & Early Treat, and all of the 5 Stupické varieties I grew this year.
2. Uragan F1 - 63 DTM - Taste is #1 of the CZ, imho better than Start S. The first & only seed to germ. took 19 days. The taste is as good as the mid-season US hybrids, and it is earlier than all of them.
3. Toro F1 - 59 DTM - Taste is #3 of the CZ. The plants are very vigorous and for me more productive than Start S. We made some early/tasty tomato soup from these.

Will not grow again:
4. Gallant F1 - 71 DTM - A very beautiful plant with piles of thick skinned, tasteless fruit. Disappointing.
5. Charmant F1 - 58 DTM - Not a sweet cherry, so of limited interest for me. Flavour is just ok, similar to Juliet F1.

I did not grow Rubinka.

Seed planting date was Apr 16, and plant out date was Jun 3 (6.9 week window).

rg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture2.jpg (21.5 KB, 219 views)

Last edited by RJGlew; September 4, 2017 at 03:08 AM.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote