View Single Post
Old June 2, 2011   #9
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dokutaaguriin View Post
Ray,Not to hijack this thread but any initial comments on your carrots?
Kind of a mixed feedback on the carrots in EarthTainers. While as you can see from the above photo they are quite prolific, I had expected a significant taste advantage over store-bought carrots. While the Tendersweet variety has been tasty, it has not given me a "knock-your-socks-off" taste improvement. Second, I can buy at the store Baby Carrots in 1 pound bags for a Dollar everyday. So if I set the Tendersweet Carrots at a "10" for reference, then supermarket Baby Carrots in the bag are in my view, a "9.7".

Conclusion is that the EarthTainers dedicated to the carrots *could* be better utilized growing vegetables that have both a noticeable taste advantage, as well as have a good R.O.I. (cost / benefit payback). Case in point, with the store bought celery at $2.50 per bunch today and assuming I can get a yield of 15 bunches per 'Tainer, that yields about a $37.00 payback per crop / (2 crops per calendar year). This compares to about a $10.00 payback per 'Tainer from growing the carrots.

Again, cost is not the primary issue, as taste, food safety, availability, etc. are higher in ranking - - but carrots are not in the top priority to grow in the future for me. Peppers, tomatoes, Snow Peas, and celery seem to offer a higher R.O.I. in my assessment.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote