View Single Post
Old March 4, 2012   #32
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
Are you sure you need the lime? With local water, I bet you have plenty of calcium and magnesium, plus the pH will probably trend up. At least, that's what it does here. Although, you're much more scientific about the whole process than I am.
I have quite a bit of biochemistry background ( Masters in nutrition, Medical Doctor and Animal science undergrad), but I don't really get too scientific about my gardening. I just see what's happening in my gardening and can tell that my water makes the difference. There is no way I'd put lime anywhere near my soil!
Tracydr, what I *was* sure of was that I needed to (a) raise the pH of the medium in my beds by about a point; and (b) add a bit Ca/Mg to the somewhat "aseptic" grow medium that I had accumulated. The need for the latter is probably debatable, but I've often read that dolomite lime can helps limit the onset of BER, although it's only one of many factors involved in that condition.

Well as it turns out, it looks like I added too much lime to my beds. Over the past couple months, I've taken regular pH readings and found my pH Has risen to a range of ~7 to 8. So I've swung the pendulum too far north, and now I must add something else (probably soil sulfur) to try and correct (this time w/out over-correcting). You're right about my water. It is alkaline and will probably have the effect of increasing (or at least buffering) my medium's pH through the growing season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
Btw, I read everyone of your threads and learn a ton! Yours and Raybos. I don't use Earthtainers but I love what you guys do!
Placing me anywhere near the class of poster that Ray is is a wide stretch of reality, but I appreciate the compliment. If "my" threads are informative, it's only because of the high caliber of commenter/poster that hard questions draw.
Thanks,
Naysen
z_willus_d is offline   Reply With Quote