Thread: Creamed Corn
View Single Post
Old March 4, 2020   #11
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

I can't address the creamed corn question as I rarely make the stuff. All sweet corn grown here gets cut off the cob, tray frozen and bagged.

Most of the sweet corn is grown in traditional rows with some toying around with double rows. However I have grown an early variety called Spring Treat, popcorn and a flint corn (it was a test) in a raised bed.

The beds are 4'x18' and I make 7 circular "hills" or plantings in a bed. I put a stake in the center of the bed and the other hills are 27" apart on center going down the bed each way. Then I plant the seed in a 9" radius from the center of each circle. Seedlings are thinned to 7-8" apart around each circle. Then I mulch well once the early weeds have germinated and been lightly hoes out. It's worked pretty well, generating enough plants close enough together so that there's not a pollination problem.

This was Spring Treat:

For fertilizing I just use a small hand hoe, pull soil back next to each plant and drop some fert in there. It doesn't take too long to do the bed but I sure wouldn't do that for long rows!

Before I came up with this for the bed I played with various other methods like planting short rows across the bed or long rows running down the bed. It's problematic fertilizing and pulling soil to the plants.

If you have a spare bed and no other way to grow corn, give it a shot!

Bill, I don't understand the lowering of soil level if you grow corn in a bed. It doesn't happen here. I dig up the stalks and bang all that soil off the roots on the back of the shovel before tossing the stalks into the cart. No soil loss that way.

Last edited by GoDawgs; March 4, 2020 at 10:22 AM.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote