View Single Post
Old October 6, 2016   #146
Susan66
Tomatovillian™

Hi Worth,
Like Lisa, I'm putting your count up trying to learn more about these machines. We have a little equipment, most of which belonged to my Dad. He was like you, a little. Had held a number of jobs in his lifetime, starting with picture framing when he was 16, learning to be, first a truck mechanic, then an airplane mechanic when he was in the army in WWII. In the 50's he had a job as a tool and die maker for a while, before going to work in construction doing concrete on all different size construction jobs for maybe the next 25 years, with a two year hiatus in the early years somewhere in there working at the steel plant. He could make or repair just about anything- kept all this old equipment running. When a part broke on the snow blower, he made a new one because the manufacturer quit making parts for that model. Then thought about it and went out and bought a new blower anyway.
No way am I about to get up on one of the old tractors and start using the farm equipment- besides, my nephew can do that. But I can, and do some rough carpentry, enough to build raised beds or painting storage racks. My own experience has been more in the small woodworking area- carving and checkering gunstocks. I couldn't inlet a stock-never learned that, but I have tools. Your threads on old school tool use, while above my head, are interesting, and I like your style. You don't talk down to us ignorant folks.
I suspect there are others who are interested, and check in to learn something new.
My sister and I would probably have sold the old farm equipment, but our brothers said keep it, so we are. Meanwhile, we're storing it all. At least my nephew took one of the tractors, and the brush hog and finish mower, but he runs them around a couple of times a year, and keeps some of the vegetation down a little for us, so that works. We don't try to use the ride around mowers-just cut back on the amount of lawn we mow to handle it with a push mower. Maybe some day we'll get it back under control. Or just be living in the woods as the trees take over.
Anyhow, to get back to the subject at hand, I'm trying to safely use some of what's around here to do some of the projects that suggest themselves. Your threads like this one on tool use are helpful.
So thanks!
Susan
Susan66 is offline   Reply With Quote