View Single Post
Old October 26, 2019   #9
shule1

I'm still unclear as to the relation between Mustard Bhutlah and Pepper X. I'm familiar with Pepper X and some of its controversy already, but I haven't delved too deeply into researching it.

I'm not too partial about it being the true Mustard Bhutlah, either, although that's great to know that there are so many kinds (the company I got it from did admit that it probably wasn't an entirely stable variety; they didn't think my off-type could have been a cross, due to their growing and handling procedures or something). As long as it's a C. chinense pepper that is extremely hot and grows well in the north in my soil, and as long as I know where I got it from, and enjoy it, I'm happy about it. Most of the C. chinense peppers I've tried have not produced here, let alone so early and in the ground. I'm happier about the off-type than the regular one, actually, as it's earlier, more prolific, and more vigorous. Plus, orange superhots aren't something I've seen a lot (although I imagine they're not terribly rare); same for superhots with visible anthocyanin on their stems, fruits and leaves (except that probably is a lot more rare).

Aji Dulce 1 and Orange Carbonero produced well here, too, though, but Aji Dulce 1 was quite late, and I started Orange Carbonero extra early (I just started the Mustard Bhutlahs the regular time, along with my tomatoes and other pepper species). You'd think Aji Dulce 1 would be C. baccatum, but sites say it's C. chinense. I've gotten a few fruits on a few other C. chinense plants, but these are the only ones (besides the two Mustard Bhutlah types) that have impressed me (granted, they're not superhots; Aji Dulce 1 is about as mild as it gets; Orange Carbonero is maybe 75k SHU).