View Single Post
Old June 12, 2013   #18
SIP Gro-Tubs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurDent004 View Post
I must be missing something because I don't see how using a Cross Tee at the top of the PVC pipes will provide any benefits over using a regular Tee. Now if you were to measure from the top of the PVC pipes to the Tees already installed and cut the PVC pipes in half you could install regular Tees on the end pieces and cross tees for pipes in between. That would allow you to connect the end pipes and the pipes in between. This would give you a top square and another layer of support below.
From what I, could see of the picture, it looked like he had 2 rows of buckets with 8 buckets in each row. So to tie the pipes together in each row, you would think you would use just a regular Tee.

But since you have 2 row's you should go ahead and tie in each row by using a 3 way tee at the top of each bucket on the ends of the rows, all buckets in between would have 4 way tees installed, that way you can tie in all the buckets in one row, and each bucket in the first row can be tied into the opposite bucket in the second row.

So for 2 rows of 8 buckets you will need Four - 3 way T's, and Twelve - 4 way T's

So say he wants to add another row of 8 buckets, he would need
Four 3 way T's
Fourteen 4 way T's
Six 5 way Crosses

And whatever you do don't use PVC cement, notch the ends of all the pipes, and use set screws to join everything together, and you will be able to take everything down for storage, and be ready for next year.

Something else you may want to consider if you plan on using the same system year after year. PVC pipe and fittings are not UV resistant, they will dry out and get brittle over time, but you can help prevent that by first painting them with a exterior acrylic flat black paint which will block the UV rays from reaching the pipe, but leaving it black the heat of sun will distort the exposed pipes above the ground. So you repaint the pipes a flat white, which will then reflect the sunlight.

But your still not out of woods yet. PVC pipe used as a post, and horizontal to the ground will deflect, and bow down and up under it own weight. So how do you keep the pipe straight, insert a pc of 1/2" EMT conduit inside the pipe and either use set screws to secure it inside the PVC pipe, or what a friend of mine did to his was fill the void between the EMT and the inside of the PVC pipe with xepanding foam.

All the fittings are "PVC Furniture fittings" but they can be pricey, but you can make the same fittings from just plain old Regular PVC Plumbing fittings, and come out with just as good of product for a cheaper price.

Terry Layman
SIP Gro-Tubs is offline   Reply With Quote