View Single Post
Old July 12, 2017   #95
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz77 View Post
Wow! I didn't even know you could take a tomato plant to that stage. Mine usually start to die when the summer is over. They never get past October anyway.
Second Wow: your tomato looks delicious!. I'm growing Uluru Ochre for the firt time this year. I only have two plants and both are starting to set fruits right these days, so it'll take a while before I can eat them. I hope they don't ripen when I leave for my vacation in August!
All of my dwarf plants have had issues with mildew and mold disease due to the cool foggy nights we can have here. This one had disease but still produced fruit last season.

I cut this one back last fall and he kept sprouting back with new growth, so I just went with it and overwintered it in a pop up greenhouse. It produced only three fruits over winter, but when it came out in March, it started up full force again with lots of blooms. The plant looks like a huge woody wine with random leaf buds and fruit. It's bizarre, but it's producing beautifully, especially after the "tuning fork pollination." I'll take it!

Mine came in about 90 days from transplant, and I am in a cooler climate here in northern California. But it burns off in daytime and gets warm and dry. No frosts here really, but a true heat index doesn't really hit until September/October. I would think in Italy the heat will pull you through.
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote