Thread: sweet corn
View Single Post
Old July 26, 2013   #20
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Depending on how long your anthesis silk interval is you can also harvest tassels and put them in a refrigerator in Florallife. This slows down the pollen shed and also maintains pollen viability, which is notoriously variable in frozen maize pollen. A trick used in greenhouses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
Yes, I got corn. I was lucky that it was a long hot summer. What is usually a 90-100 DTM corn, for me, took 120-130 days.

The pollen was a bit clumpy after being frozen, so it took a little exta effort to spread it on the silks. It was also the first year I used the block planting method. Since I now always gather pollen to assist nature, I like to plant corn in single or double rows so that I have easy access to the plants from either side. Clumpy pollen is a bit difficult to spread when leaning and reaching in three or four dense rows.

Gary

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote