View Single Post
Old July 9, 2013   #4
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindrops27 View Post
Thanks Kath, I made the most out of those baby tubers for dinner and were they ever delicious!

I have another question can I save the baby potatoes to plant in fall storing it in the refrigerator until Feb/March for plant out. Or could I just replant the potato out now in a different location hoping the potatoes won't rot in the cold?

I will post a picture so you can see how small the baby tubers are.
Home grown potatoes are one of my very favorite veggies and a staple in my diet. I've been growing them for many years but I'm not an expert by any stretch- I'll share my experiences, though, fwiw. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in.

You can save them, yes, and I have. They will sprout eventually, even in the fridge, so be careful not to knock off the sprouts. Many don't recommend doing this and say to purchase new certified disease free seed potato each year but I've saved/replanted tubers from expensive seed that I've purchased through the mail and had great results. The harvest will decrease if you keep using the same seed for years, though.

In the past I tried replanting about now, in August and again in the fall but I didn't have luck. The earliest planting was to try to get an early variety to produce tubers for the fall for storage. Aerial blackleg always takes my plants down by the end of July and I'd love to be able to get a late crop to harvest in September/October. Unless the potatoes are already sprouting, I think they need a period of cold in order to get the sprouting process started.

I think 2 oz. is supposed to be the ideal size for little tubers planted whole but I've gotten nice plants/yields with smaller ones- I try not to cut them.

Last edited by kath; July 9, 2013 at 09:58 AM.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote