Thread: Elephant Garlic
View Single Post
Old October 31, 2016   #15
svalli
Tomatovillian™

Last fall I ordered elephant garlic from UK and planted to my garlic bed here in Finland. Last winter was harsh and none of the cloves survived. Now I am getting some cloves from a grower in Finland, but it is already too late to plant them here so I and will refrigerate them and plant during spring.

My DH is currently in Japan on a business trip and I asked him to look for local garlic varieties. This morning he e-mailed me that elephant garlic is commonly used there. I started to google it and found a thing called Japanese garlic, which does not look like a regular garlic clove. Then I noticed that they look exactly like elephant garlic corms. This Japanese garlic is advertised to have some special health values, but I could not find any good information about the plants themselves and I can find information about them only on English ans Spanish, but nothing in Japanese. Many Japanese sites however had a lot of pictures of the giant elephant garlic called janboninniku (some showed also the corms attached to the heads).

I do not speak Spanish, but I found this video interesting.
https://youtu.be/MWb9kSh1fzE
As I understood it shows planting elephant garlic from cloves and corms, which grow to a giant single bulb the first year.

Sari