Thread: Tomato Triangle
View Single Post
Old January 15, 2014   #9
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=dsafety;387118]This product is not about doing it cheaper. It is all about doing it better. For me, the cheap wire cages are nearly useless because many of my plants get very large. The cages made from wire rolls work great but the rust and become a storage problem during the off season. [quote]The only reason your cages are easier to store is that they come apart because you aren't gluing them. I would be very trepidacious that they wouldn't disassemble on their own with a big plant and a wind. A couple of years of assembly and disassembly will make it worse.

Quote:
Before coming up with this idea, I tried making the square version using all off-the-shelf parts. That version actually cost more to build because it took many more parts. Also, the triangular shape is more stable than the square.
As long as it is acceptable to have two of the cross pieces one inch higher than the other two, it takes one more length of 1/2" pvc 18" long which will cost 27 cents, one more 3/4" x1/2" tee which will cost 46 cents, and four 1" nipples cut from 3/4" pipe at a cost of 8 cents for all four, but it requires three less of your fittings at a cost a MINUS $4.99. per layer. Total savings per layer is $4.18 or $16.64 per cage.

In summary too much cost for too little gain. It's only meaningful if one MUST have a triangular pvc cage that they built themselves and are willing to spend $30 on it. If I'm going to spend $30 on a tomato cage and build it myself there has to be a dozen materials and fifty ways to do it. I would have at least made it a four way tee so a person didn't need the 90° tees. It would look nicer at least
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote