View Single Post
Old May 7, 2017   #1
Container Guy
Tomatovillian™

Default Will Garden Tone work for tomatoes

Hi! I'm trying to find an organic fertilizer for my SWC's.

Problem:
I want to avoid and correct blossom drop. Vegetable tone is available inexpensively in small bags here and could be used on my other vegetables, but Tomato Tone would have to be special ordered in a large bag. Will Vegetable Tone work without other additions, or should I bite the bullet and buy Tomato Tone? Alternatively, is there another organic fertilizer that would be better?

Backstory:
I am growing organic tomatoes in DIY self watering containers in zone 9B in a screened in porch. I have a ~4' tall Roma plant and a 8 younger, medium-sized Super Sweet 100's in 3.5 gal containers (3 gal soil, .5 gal reservoir). They are all in a 1:1 mix of Miracle grow organic raised bed soil (0.09-0.08-0.09 with 0.02 Ca) and Lambert organic potting mix (lots of peat moss and some perlite, no fertilizer content listed). The Roma seedling was planted in late February and has blossomed a for about 4 weeks, but only set 3 fruits. The other blossoms have dropped. The SS100 seedlings were transplanted a month ago and the largest have just started setting blossoms.

Goal:
I'm going to repot two of my SS100's in to a shared 27 gal DIY SWC and want to fertilize to avoid blossom drop. I'm also going to be repotting some smaller seedlings into 3.5 gal SWC's and fertilize for the same reason. If possible, I'd like to add some of the fertilizer in the Roma container to try to fix the blossom drop that is already occurring, but don't want to hurt the fruit that is set.

Any recommendations, suggestions, or advice would be very much appreciated! Thank you!
Container Guy is offline   Reply With Quote