View Single Post
Old March 23, 2014   #6
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

He bags blooms on the mega hots for saving. My stuff is on the other side of 10 acres and I have several beds. Hot peppers seem to cross more easily than sweet. Thus far, I have had no problems but, as with all OP seed, there exists the possibility. The "Chimayo" New Mexican native, is notorious for crossing so I grow it behind fruit tress where I grow the rude tomatillos. There is only so much you can do. I don't sell seeds so it's not quite as critical. I read that the "Caramel Bhut" was originally an unexpected cross as are several of the mega hot varieties now so popular like Jay's Peach and several others.
In Australia, I visited with the man who we got the "Indian Naga Jalokia" from and that is it's name "Indian". It is smoother and less hot (medium) than a regular NJ. He said "it is a frutescens & not a chinense so that is why the difference in heat" but I think that is wrong as the frutescens Nagas are totally different looking (think Thai pepper style) My husband is growing it out this year to see what it looks and tastes like...so I am thinking it is probably an accidental cross.

So anyway, we do our best and try to save seed from a specimen that "typifies" the breed characteristics but until you grow it out, you never know.