View Single Post
Old March 2, 2017   #50
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
Well it certainly intensifies flavor, so I guess if the flavor is good to begin with it would usually be "better" but for SDV it was so intense it was almost bitter. I don't like red tomatoes though so there is that.

I want to try dry farming a few grafted Sweet Ozark Orange this year. They have a very good flavor that I feel could possibly be on the "best tomato ever!" level if I can succeed in intensifying them.
I have little, as in no experience with orange tomatos. BUt when ready all the descriptions on the Tomato Growers web site, I did realize most orange fleshed tomatos have a sweeter flesh. And then there are those that have a zippier impact on the taste buds.

I tend to be eco minded and view watering as a waste of my time....looking for a happy medium where tomatos have adequate water and good production using a watering system where I don't have to stand holding the hose. lol

When reading out on the WWW, a few numbers popped up regarding production weight using drying growing methods. In general both apples and tomatos have about 30% the production by weight compared to those on watering systems. No mention about flavor, keeping qualities, etc.

I can see the value of reducing the cost of water that is paid for certainly but also realize that when production is weight based, the cost of water is well covered by the huge increase in production, by pound.

For me, watering will not be an investment for the apple trees; they will need to be tough and adaptable. The tomatos though leave me wondering about the enhanced flavor...... or not. Seems side by side variety tests will require several seasons to find what I like.
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote