View Single Post
Old August 20, 2017   #8
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

This is the first year I've grown a larger amount of garlic, so I really don't know what I am doing. I removed scapes from only about 1/2 of my garlic. After harvesting, on the drying racks many of the green scape shoots appeared to have enough energy to keep maturing the bulbils as they dried, even after being pulled from the ground. I now have way more bulbils than I can ever use, and some flower pods have split on their own, dumping them into the crevices of the greenhouse floor.

From what I read, it sounds like you are supposed to lift the bulbils after the initial planting and replant for 2-3 years before they get to a harvest size. Why can't you just leave them in the ground for that time, or at least for the two years when they would just be upsizing as one clove. Would leaving them in the ground year round stimulate them to divide even while they are still very tiny?

I was going to plant some bulbils randomly in my flower garden, but I'm not interested in having to find and dig them up several times. Should I just forget the idea?

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote