View Single Post
Old April 23, 2018   #11
Nattybo!
Tomatovillian™

Tops were knocked over to quicken the time to harvest. They need dry and warmth to cure. Up here in the frigid north of Maryland that day was July 25th. August is warm and dry. September is warm but often wet. October is cold and wet. I just do what my parents did and what they taught me. It’s what their parents before them did. And so on and so forth.

I did not get my info from a YouTube video I got my info right up here in my noggin...my father and uncle were arguing over the name of the Saint’s feast day while standing/weeding in our onion patch. My Dad said it was St. James. My Uncle said, no it’s St. Christopher. On and on they went arguing over who was right/wrong. Then after what seemed like eternity to my little kid self...my Dad said, wait a minute, these two Saints share the same feast day. Then the name calling started. Two brothers ribbing each other. It forever cemented in my head the exact time to knock the onions over in order for them to cure in time before the cold and wet weather started.

But you guys down in the fiery parts of the U.S. may not have to do what us further north have to do. Short day onions vs. long days. I just figured onions is onions. The day to harvest will be different for sure...I figure it’s so blasted hot down there that the onions would probably cook in the field if left there. Heck, I’d bury an egg next to the onions to see if I could cook myself some lunch.
Nattybo! is offline   Reply With Quote