View Single Post
Old April 20, 2010   #62
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the info Gary, the other party is planning on going to the nursery.

Earl,

I was just wondering about different options. The get togethers sound like a good opportunity to build up a collection for people just getting started. Also, you will have people who start many more plants than they need (I plant 4-5 seeds for every two plants I need), and people who can't start any at all (lack space or have a major disaster). One to one trades are cost free, but giving away plants is going to cost someone for the pot and mix. I'm sure many people are like me and have more seeds than they will ever use (even from saving seed from a single fruit sometimes), and would like to help people out but giving them away costs money for the little envelopes etc.

CHOPTAG could set low prices (gentleman's agreement) (e.g $0.50 per plant or seed envelope etc) to keep away people looking to make money, and/or take a cut to help out with rent on the location.

Orchid societies generally have a sales table at every monthly meeting where people can bring in their extra plants and stick a price tag on them. Generally 10%-20% goes to the society. The also have a raffle for donated plants.

Last edited by TZ-OH6; April 20, 2010 at 12:19 PM.