View Single Post
Old June 25, 2017   #11
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I'm a transplanted NY'er , so I'm familiar with your conditions. They are very similar to where I live now.

A few years back at this time of year I planted a half dozen 4 inch tomatoes that were on sale for a buck. I remember one being Cherokee Purple, and none were Early Girl. That late group never worked out for me. By the time they grew to a decent size, days were shortening and stink bugs and leaf diseases were in the garden.

I've never had much luck with fall gardens for the brassicas. I've tried my own transplants and freshly grown commercial (not left over from summer) 6 packs. Lots of pretty leaves but no heads. I don't find the charts work well for me. For instance,I follow what the local coop does; start brussels sprouts in March, plants out in May, harvest beginning in September. Way off the 6 weeks the chart suggests.

Since we are talking weeks into the future, consider finding a 4 inch squash or baby melon plant, hopefully on sale at a decent garden center where they were cared for. As a last resort, Lowes near you may still have Bonnie Plants. Three dollars for 3 squash seeds is an abomination, but it will buy you several weeks at this late stage. You can transplant up to a larger pot as you wait for the harvest.

At least the greens will be a sure thing (unless you have rabbits).
Maybe try a teeny garden of the rest to convince yourself of the worth of the effort <wink>.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote