View Single Post
Old March 3, 2017   #11
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by shule1 View Post
I'm looking for something with paper thin walls (like Ring of Fire and Bird's Beak), only with a Jalapeno flavor. Randy Sine's Evil Jalapeno probably has the same wall thickness as Serrano peppers. I've grown that (it's awesome). I've had grocery store Serranos. They were thicker-walled than what I'm looking for, but thinner than most Jalapenos. They taste significantly different, too, but a lot of people think they taste similar (so maybe it's just me, or maybe it's the Serrano variety that matters).
Serranos are different than Jalapeños and even more different than Cayennes. They offer a heat level that is in-between and definitely adds the perfect taste and spice to a salsa. I grow the Serrano Tampiqueno, but I have always used them fresh and pureed in a blender. Never tried to dry one and use it for powder (but worth a shot), the flavor is fantastic. When you said a cross between jalapeño and cayenne, it was the first pepper that popped into my head, mainly because of the in-between heat level and flavor (not really tasting like either). Turning down the heat again ... the Fresnos are thin-walled and would probably make a great powder, similar to the jalapeño, but with more flavor.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote